View Single Post
Old 06-12-2006, 10:54 AM
Samster

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 1388 / Power: 21
imom has much to be proud ofimom has much to be proud ofimom has much to be proud ofimom has much to be proud ofimom has much to be proud ofimom has much to be proud ofimom has much to be proud ofimom has much to be proud ofimom has much to be proud ofimom has much to be proud of
Re: Manchester United's Headliners, Articles and Rumours

Ferguson certain United won't fail against Benfica
Tue 05 Dec, 4:32 PM

MANCHESTER (Reuters) - Alex Ferguson does not expect Manchester United to suffer a repeat of last year's Champions League humiliation when they play Benfica on Wednesday.

The Portuguese side beat United in the final group match a year ago to deny the 1999 winners a place in the second stage of the competition for first time since 1994-95.

A win for Fernando Santos' team in the Group F match at Old Trafford on Wednesday would see Benfica eliminate United for the second successive season.

But Ferguson told reporters on Tuesday: "I don't think it will happen. We are playing better for a start. Our form has been excellent this season.

"There is growing sense of maturity and a fantastic team spirit. If the defenders' concentrate and we play to our form, we have a fantastic chance of going through."

Ferguson confessed his team were rocked by their exit last season following a 2-1 defeat in Lisbon.

FELT TERRIBLE

"At the time you can image what the dressing room was like. We felt terrible because we had a fantastic history in European football with qualifying for the latter stages," Ferguson added.

"So there was a question mark of how we got over it and what the next step would be.

"The response was fantastic, they went on a run from that game until the end of the season that was the best in the country. We have continued that this season as well. Some times you are tested and we recovered from that devastating defeat."

Ferguson admitted he was surprised his team had not already qualified for the next stage after winning their opening three games.

Defeats at Copenhagen and Celtic have left them on nine points with Benfica on seven points. Celtic have already qualified.

"It's a surprise we are in this position. I know the history of this club though and we enjoy making it hard," he said.

I did make changes but some times you have to take some risks. I don't think it was too big a risk though because we put international players in."

Ferguson also defended Portuguese winger Cristiano Ronaldo after he was accused of diving by Middlesbrough manager Gareth Southgate in United's 2-1 win at the Riverside on Saturday.

Ronaldo fell after challenge with keeper Mark Schwarzer to win a penalty when it appeared he had not been touched.

"Gareth Southgate is very naive. He's a young manager. We will have to give him a chance to settle in.

"I have looked at it a million times and without question there is no way a player will give up the chance of an open goal."

Schrodinger's Cat - A girl's skills are both good and bad until one makes an observation. Then she becomes either 'good' or 'bad'. The observation thus determines the result